If you are unable to hold in-person activities, we also offer free trainings on engaging kids in movement through virtual programming. Check out our remote trainings here.
Relay races inspire kids to move more. Our Recess Enhancement Program (REP) game, Speedway, puts a fun spin on relay races.
Who: Grades K-8
Time: 15 minutes+
Where: Gymnasium, playground
Equipment: Cones and tape
How to Play
- Players line up standing 6 feet away from each other. Split players into four teams. Place a cone in front of each team.
- The leader will create a racetrack with tape pointing in the direction players have to run.
- When the leader says, "Start your engines!" the first player on each team steps onto the track.
- When the leader says, "Go!" the player runs a lap, goes to then end of his or her team's line, does five jumping jacks, then sits down. Then, the next player in line goes.
- The first team to have all players sitting down wins!
Check for Understanding
- Which way do you run on the track?
- What do you do when you get back to your line?
- Mix up the movements players do at the end of the line to keep the game fresh and to help players exercise different muscles in their bodies.
Conflict Resolution Tip
- Have players cheer each other on.
PLAY: REP IT OUT
Medium: Hop on two feet.
Help Asphalt Green provide resources for kids to stay active. Asphalt Green, like many nonprofits, has felt the effects of COVID-19. We need your support now more than ever to continue providing for the community. We are stronger together.