Relay races inspire kids to move more. Our Recess Enhancement Program (REP) game, Speedway, puts a fun spin on relay races.
Who: Grades K-8
Time: 15 minutes+
Where: Gymnasium, playground
Equipment: Cones and tape
How to Play
- Players line up standing 6 feet away from each other. Split players into four teams. Place a cone in front of each team.
- The leader will create a racetrack with tape pointing in the direction players have to run.
- When the leader says, "Start your engines!" the first player on each team steps onto the track.
- When the leader says, "Go!" the player runs a lap, goes to then end of his or her team's line, does five jumping jacks, then sits down. Then, the next player in line goes.
- The first team to have all players sitting down wins!
Check for Understanding
- Which way do you run on the track?
- What do you do when you get back to your line?
- Mix up the movements players do at the end of the line to keep the game fresh and to help players exercise different muscles in their bodies.
Conflict Resolution Tip
- Have players cheer each other on.
PLAY: REP IT OUT
Medium: Hop on two feet.