If you are unable to hold in-person activities, we also offer free trainings on engaging kids in movement through virtual programming. Check out our remote trainings here.
Fun and physical activity are guaranteed in Shipwreck, a Recess Enhancement Program (REP) game.
REP Game: Shipwreck
Who: Grades 3-8
Time: 10 minutes+
Where: Gymnasium, hallway, playground
How to Play
- Players line up at the starting line! Stand 6 feet away from each other. The facilitator is the captain and the players are the crew. Listen for the following commands. When you hear:
- ROLL CALL: the crew must line up, feet together, and salute the captain by saying, “aye, aye captain!”
- AT EASE: the crew may stop saluting and do the next movement that is called.
- CROW’S NEST: the crew must climb the ladder to the crow’s nest.
- SWAB THE DECK: the crew must mop the deck.
- THREE IN A BOAT: find three people, sit in a line 6 feet apart, and row the boat while singing, "row, row, row your boat."
- SPEED BOAT: the captain will become a speed boat and try to get to the line before you do.
- If you make a mistake, do five jumping jacks, then rejoin the game.
Check for Understanding
- What do you do for SWAB THE DECK?
- What do you do for SPEED BOAT?
- Practice the commands with players before starting the game.
Conflict Resolution Tip
- Have players help the facilitator lead.
PLAY: REP IT OUT
Easy: Have players stand in line.
Medium: Have players walk in a circle.
Hard: Have players hop on one foot for each command.
Help Asphalt Green provide resources for kids to stay active. Asphalt Green, like many nonprofits, has felt the effects of COVID-19. We need your support now more than ever to continue providing for the community. We are stronger together.