Fun and physical activity are guaranteed in Shipwreck, a Recess Enhancement Program (REP) game.
REP Game: Shipwreck
Who: Grades 3-8
Time: 10 minutes+
Where: Gymnasium, hallway, playground
How to Play
- Players line up at the starting line! Stand 6 feet away from each other. The facilitator is the captain and the players are the crew. Listen for the following commands. When you hear:
- ROLL CALL: the crew must line up, feet together, and salute the captain by saying, “aye, aye captain!”
- AT EASE: the crew may stop saluting and do the next movement that is called.
- CROW’S NEST: the crew must climb the ladder to the crow’s nest.
- SWAB THE DECK: the crew must mop the deck.
- THREE IN A BOAT: find three people, sit in a line 6 feet apart, and row the boat while singing, "row, row, row your boat."
- SPEED BOAT: the captain will become a speed boat and try to get to the line before you do.
- If you make a mistake, do five jumping jacks, then rejoin the game.
Check for Understanding
- What do you do for SWAB THE DECK?
- What do you do for SPEED BOAT?
- Practice the commands with players before starting the game.
Conflict Resolution Tip
- Have players help the facilitator lead.
PLAY: REP IT OUT
Easy: Have players stand in line.
Medium: Have players walk in a circle.
Hard: Have players hop on one foot for each command.
Help Asphalt Green provide resources for kids to stay active. We need your support more than ever to continue providing for the community. We are stronger together.