If you are unable to hold in-person activities, we also offer free trainings on engaging kids in movement through virtual programming. Check out our remote trainings here.
Keep active inside by playing an indoor Recess Enhancement Program (REP) game! All it takes to play Up, Down, Stomp, Clap is a willingness to join the fun!
Who: Grades K-8
Time: 10+ minutes
Where: Auditorium, cafeteria, classroom, gymnasium, hallway, library, playground
HOW TO PLAY:
- Everyone, pick a seat. You will do a lot of moving but you will not move from your seats.
- A designated leader gives a series of commands for players to follow. When the leader says:
- UP, raise your arms up.
- DOWN, put your arms down
- STOMP, stomp your feet once.
- CLAP, clap once.
- Listen very carefully because in the next round gets harder.
- Round 2: UP and DOWN are opposites.
- Round 3: UP and DOWN and STOMP and CLAP are opposites.
Make sure the leader does the actions with the players for Round 1 so everyone understands.
Check for Understanding
- What do you do when the facilitator says "down" in round 2?
- What do you do when you make a mistake?
CONFLICT RESOLUTION TIP:
- Have the students do four arm circles if a mistake is made and then quickly rejoin the game.
REP IT OUT!
EASY: Only use Round 1.
MEDIUM: Only use Round 1 and 2.
HARD: Use roune 3 and sdd different movements into the series of commands.
Help Asphalt Green provide resources for kids to stay active. Asphalt Green, like many nonprofits, has felt the effects of COVID-19. We need your support now more than ever to continue providing for the community. We are stronger together.