Switch is great for any age and encourages positive conflict resolution. In this active outdoor game, players do anything they can to avoid the center cone. If a player ends up in the center, they’re out for a round and someone else gets a chance to play.
Who: Grades 3-5
Time: 15+ minutes
- 5 cones
- 4 cones in a square or rectangle
- 1 cone in the middle
HOW TO PLAY:
- Everyone line up! One student stands at the middle cone.
- The student in the middle will say “switch!” and everyone will run to a different corner cone.
- Whoever is at the middle cone is out and goes to the end of the line.
- The first student in the line goes to the middle cone and starts the game all over.
- Where do you want to run to?
- What do you say to start the game?
- Add cones to the square or rectangle if the line is too long (six cones).
CONFLICT RESOLUTION TIP:
- Use Rock Paper Scissors to solve any arguments.
- Space the cones further apart.
REP IT OUT!
EASY: Walk to the cones.
MEDIUM: Hop to the cones.
HARD: Hop on 1 foot to the cones.
Check out more active recess games from Asphalt Green's REP team:
- Straddle Ball: Nobody’s ever out in Straddle Ball. All you need is a ball and a group of people
- Ultimate Football: A playground-friendly game with no tackling—or touching
- Helicopter: This recess game gets kids hopping and having fun in no time
- Band Aid Tag: An outdoor recess game where everybody’s “it”