If you are unable to hold in-person activities, we also offer free trainings on engaging kids in movement through virtual programming. Check out our remote trainings here.
Whoosh, a popular Recess Enhancement Program (REP) game, will bring out children's silly sides.
Who: Grades 3-8
Time: 10 minutes+
Where: Auditorium, cafeteria, classroom, gymnasium, hallway, library, playground
How to Play
- Players form a circle standing 6 feet away from one another.
- The leader will begin the game by passing the "whoosh" to someone on his or her right or left by lifting his or her arms toward them and saying, “Whoosh!” That player becomes the new “whoosher” and has several options:
- WHOOSH: Pass the “whoosh” to someone else in the same direction.
- WHOA: Put his or her hands up, palms out, and say, “Whoa!” This sends the “whoosh” back to the “whoosher” who “whooshes” in the opposite direction or selects another option.
- ZAP: Clap-point at someone across the circle and say, “Zap!” This sends the "whoosh" across the circle to someone else who then selects an option.
- If the “whoosher” is “whoa’d” by players in both directions when trying to pass the “whoosh,” then he or she is a “double whoa’d whoosher” and must do five jumping jacks before starting again.
Check for Understanding
- How do you become a “double whoa’d whoosher”?
- What happens if you are a “double whoa’d whoosher”?
- Make sure to practice each command before beginning the game to get players comfortable.
- If a player is a “double whoa’d whoosher” twice in a row, make him or her immune to it for a turn.
PLAY: REP IT OUT
Easy: Add BOING: Whoosher says, “boing,” out loud while performing a squat. The entire circle must then do a squat while saying, “boing!” This can only be done three times in a row by the "whoosher."
Medium: Add FREAK OUT: Whoosher says, “freak out,” and begins to do a funny dance that everyone else must mimic. This can only be done two times in a row by the "whoosher."
Hard: Put a time limit on choosing the action. If a player goes over the time limit, he or she must do five jumping jacks.
Help Asphalt Green provide resources for kids to stay active. Asphalt Green, like many nonprofits, has felt the effects of COVID-19. We need your support now more than ever to continue providing for the community. We are stronger together.