Kids flex both their creative and physical muscles in our popular Recess Enhancement Program (REP) game Storytellers.
Who: Grades K-5
Time: 10 minutes+
Where: Auditorium, cafeteria, classroom, gymnasium, hallway, library, playground
How to Play
- Players form a circle, standing 6 feet apart from one another.
- All players are storytellers! They will be creating a story together as a group.
- Select a story leader. The leader will start by saying one word, and the person to his or her right will then add another word that connects to it like a story. This pattern will continue throughout the game.
- If a player cannot think of a word to add to the story, then he or she must do 10 jumping jacks before rejoining the game as the new story starter.
Check for Understanding
- How many words does each player add to the story?
- What happens if you cannot think of a word?
- Reinforce that the goal is to create a cohesive story. Players should choose words that link together, not trip each other up.
Conflict Resolution Tip
- Ensure that players understand the story will go in many different directions, but if there are any disagreements, players can play rock-paper-scissors to settle them.
PLAY: REP IT OUT
Easy: Add a sentence.
Medium: Hold a balancing position until the story finishes.
Hard: Jog in place until the story finishes.
Help Asphalt Green provide resources for kids to stay active. We need your support more than ever to continue providing for the community. We are stronger together.