Fastest is not always best, especially in this Recess Enhancement Program (REP) game, Slow Motions.
Who: Grades 3-8
Time: 10 minutes+
Where: Auditorium, cafeteria, classroom, gymnasium, hallway, library, playground
How to Play
- Players line up standing 6 feet away from each other. Players are all going to be racing one another...slowly!
- Each player stands on the starting line! The finish line is the opposite end of the play space.
- The leader will be the starter and the judge. He or she will give players a motion to do, and players will attempt to do it as slowly as possible while moving to the finish line.
- Players keep moving but not too quickly! If a player moves too quickly for the judge, stops moving, or loses balance, he or she will be asked to freeze and do an activity in place for 5 seconds.
- The first player to cross the finish line is the winner!
Check for Understanding
- Who is the judge?
- What happens if a player moves too quickly, stops moving, or loses balance?
- Mix up the movements to keep the game fresh and to help players exercise different muscles in their bodies.
Conflict Resolution Tip
- Have only one judge and make sure he or she remains consistent.
PLAY: REP IT OUT
Easy: Players run in slow motion.
Medium: Players skip in slow motion.
Hard: Players lunge in slow motion.The last player to cross the finish line wins!