Red Light, Green Light is the perfect game to get kids moving and can be modified for any space.
Red Light, Green Light
Who: Grades K-5
Time: 10 minutes+
Where: Gymnasium, hallway, playground
How to Play:
- Line up at the starting line! Stand six feet away from each other. I represent the traffic light and you represent the cars.
- When I turn around and say, "green light," you can move toward me.
- When I turn back around and say, "red light," you must freeze.
- If you are caught moving during a red light, return to the starting line.
- If you make it past the traffic light first, then you become the new traffic light.
Check for Understanding
- When can you move?
- Point to the start and finish lines.
- Instead of going back to the starting line, have the player do an exercise to rejoin the game.
CONFLICT RESOLUTION TIP
- Do not feed into any arguments if a player is caught moving during a red light. “You get what you get and you don’t get upset.”
PLAY: REP IT OUT
EASY: Walk or side shuffle.
MEDIUM: Freeze for 10 seconds.
HARD: Freeze on one foot.
Help Asphalt Green provide resources for kids to stay active. We need your support more than ever to continue providing for the community. We are stronger together.