Don’t let staying inside stop you from getting active. Our Recess Enhancement Program's (REP) game Riverbank can be played in any small space—outside or inside.
Who: Grades K-8
Time: 15+ minutes
Where: Auditorium, cafeteria, classroom, gymnasium, hallway, library, playground
Equipment: Cones or tape
How to play:
- Instruct students to put their toes on the line and face the facilitator (you).
- The facilitor will call out "river," "bank," or "riverbank."
- Players hop forward when they hear "river" and backward when they hear "bank."
- When the facilitor calls out, "riverbank," players hop sideways with one foot in the river and one foot in the bank.
- If a player makes a mistake, he or she will do five jumping jacks or a silly dance before rejoining the game.
- Have a little space to move? Change “river” and “bank” to two designated walls in the room to get players moving as long as they are 6 feet apart. When you say, “riverbank,” players can rush to a designated spot in the middle of the two.
Check for Understanding
- What do you do when you hear, "river?"
- What do you do when you hear, "bank?"
- Be the line leader and have students follow you to avoid fights.
PLAY: REP IT OUT
EASY: Step forward and backward in response to commands.
MEDIUM: Run in place while waiting for the command.
HARD: Hop on one foot when commands are given.
Help Asphalt Green provide resources for kids to stay active. We need your support more than ever to continue providing for the community. We are stronger together.