It can be tempting to relax and put on a movie when weather prevents kids from playing outside. However, it is important for children to remain engaged in physical activity. One of our Recess Enhancement Program's (REP) favorite indoor games is Popcorn. The game incorporates teamwork, coordination, and fun competition and requires minimum equipment.
Who: Grades kindergarten to 5
Time: 15+ minutes
Where: Gym or any indoor space
- You will need one soft ball
- Students form a circle
How to Play:
- Instruct students to form a circle. The facilitator of the game will always begin with the ball.
- The facilitator throws the ball in the air, claps once, and then catches the ball.
- The ball is then passed around the circle, with each person having a chance to throw the ball in the air and clap once before catching the ball. Everyone should only get one turn per round. If the ball is dropped, everyone will do jumping jacks.
- Once everyone had a turn, whoever successfully caught the ball after one clap can try two claps in the next round. Everyone else will try one clap again.
- The player who gets the most claps before catching the ball at the end of the game is the winner.
- Instruct students to high-five each other after catching the ball.
PLAY: REP IT OUT
EASY: Instruct students to catch the ball without clapping.
MEDIUM: Time the students to see how quickly they can get the ball around the circle.
HARD: Form two circle and have them race against each other.
Check out more active recess games from Asphalt Green's REP team: