Spring is finally in the air, and children are ready to release their energy outside. Tag is always a crowd pleaser, so our Recess Enhancement Program (REP) created a version that puts a modern twist on the classic game. Hula Hoop Tag incorporates running, jumping, and dodging and is great for all ages.
Hula Hoop Tag
Who: Grades K-8
Time: 15+ minutes
Where: Gym, playground
How to Play
- Instruct everyone to spread out 6 feet away from each other. Place a hula hoop in front of two players. They are the taggers.
- Taggers will kick the hula hoop to other players by hitting their foot with the hula hoop.
- Only taggers can kick the hula hoop. If you are tagged by or step on the hula hoop, you must do five jumping jacks.
- Pause and restart the game with new taggers often.
- Instruct players to wi-fi (wireless high five or air five) each other after being tagged.
PLAY: REP IT OUT
EASY: Use only one to two taggers in a larger space.
MEDIUM: Increase boundary size.
HARD: Use multiple taggers and eliminate players as the game continues.