Spring is finally in the air, and children are ready to release their energy outside. Tag is always a crowd pleaser, so our Recess Enhancement Program (REP) created a version that puts a modern twist on the classic game. Our game of the month, Hula Hoop Tag, incorporates running, jumping, and dodging and is great for all ages.
Hula Hoop Tag
Who: Grades kindergarten to 5
Time: 15+ minutes
Where: Large indoor or outdoor space
How to Play
- Spread out. Give two players a hula hoop. They are the taggers.
- Taggers lay the hula hoop on the ground and kick it to tag the feet of other players.
- If you are tagged or step on the hula hoop, you must to five jumping jacks before re-entering the game.
- Pause and restart the game with new taggers often.
- Instruct students to high-five each other after being tagged.
PLAY: REP IT OUT
EASY: Use only one to two taggers in a larger space.
MEDIUM: Increase boundary size.
HARD: Use multiple taggers and eliminate players as the game continues.
Check out more active recess games from Asphalt Green's REP team: