Our Recess Enhancement Program (REP) game Lion's Den puts smiles on kids' faces and gets them active.
REP Game: Lion's Den
Who: Grades K-8
Time: 10 minutes+
Where: Gymnasium, hallway, playground
Equipment: Cones or tape
How to Play
- Players line up standing 6 feet away from each other. Players are the hunters, and the leader is the lion.
- When the lion is in its den, it goes to sleep. Hunters must silently tip-toe to try and make it past the den.
- If the lion hears any noise, it will wake up and roar! The hunters must freeze. If a hunterise caught moving by the lion, he or she must return to the starting line.
- The hutner that makes it past the den first becomes the new lion.
Check for Understanding
- How should hunters approach the lion?
- How does a hunter become a lion?
- Instead of going back to the starting line, have the hunter do an exercise and rejoin the game.
Conflict Resolution Tip
- Do not feed into any player arguments if he or she is caught moving. You get what you get, and you don’t get upset.
PLAY: REP IT OUT
Easy: Walk or side shuffle.
Medium: Freeze for 10 seconds.
Hard: Freeze on one foot.