Our Recess Enhancement Program (REP) game Lion's Den puts smiles on kids' faces and gets them active.
REP Game: Lion's Den
Who: Grades K-8
Time: 10 minutes+
Where: Gymnasium, hallway, playground
Equipment: Cones or tape
How to Play
- Players line up standing 6 feet away from each other. Players are the hunters, and the leader is the lion.
- When the lion is in its den, it goes to sleep. Hunters must silently tip-toe to try and make it past the den.
- If the lion hears any noise, it will wake up and roar! The hunters must freeze. If a hunterise caught moving by the lion, he or she must return to the starting line.
- The hutner that makes it past the den first becomes the new lion.
Check for Understanding
- How should hunters approach the lion?
- How does a hunter become a lion?
- Instead of going back to the starting line, have the hunter do an exercise and rejoin the game.
Conflict Resolution Tip
- Do not feed into any player arguments if he or she is caught moving. You get what you get, and you don’t get upset.
PLAY: REP IT OUT
Easy: Walk or side shuffle.
Medium: Freeze for 10 seconds.
Hard: Freeze on one foot.
Help Asphalt Green provide resources for kids to stay active. We need your support more than ever to continue providing for the community. We are stronger together.