Sometimes you just need to dance it out. Kids release their energy in Freeze Dance Party, a popular Recess Enhancement Program (REP) game.
Freeze Dance Party
Who: Grades K-5
Time: 10 minutes+
Where: Auditorium, cafeteria, classroom, gymnasium, hallway, library, playground
How to Play
- Players line up standing 6 feet apart from each other.
- It's time for a dance party! But it's not an ordinary dance party, it's a FREEZE dance party.
- The facilitator is the freeze dance leader. When the leader starts dancing, everyone can dance!
- When the freeze dance leader stops dancing, all players freeze and stop dancing.
- If a players are caught dancing when they should be frozen, they do five jumping jacks, squats, or lunges.
Check for Understanding
- When do players dance? When do players freeze?
- What happens if players are dancing when they should be frozen?
- Add some music! When the freeze dance leader plays music, participants dance; the music is paused, players freeze.
Conflict Resolution Tip
- Only the freeze dance leader controls the dancing, but you can rotate who the freeze dance leader is so everyone can have a try.
PLAY: REP IT OUT
Easy: The freeze dance leader says, "freeze,” and stops dancing.
Medium: The freeze dance leader does not say, “freeze,” but stops dancing.
Hard: The freeze dance leader rapidly switches between dancing and freezing to trick players.
Help Asphalt Green provide resources for kids to stay active. We need your support more than ever to continue providing for the community. We are stronger together.