Sometimes you just need to dance it out. Kids release their energy in Freeze Dance Party, a popular Recess Enhancement Program (REP) game.
Freeze Dance Party
Who: Grades K-5
Time: 10 minutes+
Where: Auditorium, cafeteria, classroom, gymnasium, hallway, library, playground
How to Play
- Players line up standing 6 feet apart from each other.
- It's time for a dance party! But it's not an ordinary dance party, it's a FREEZE dance party.
- The facilitator is the freeze dance leader. When the leader starts dancing, everyone can dance!
- When the freeze dance leader stops dancing, all players freeze and stop dancing.
- If a players are caught dancing when they should be frozen, they do five jumping jacks, squats, or lunges.
Check for Understanding
- When do players dance? When do players freeze?
- What happens if players are dancing when they should be frozen?
- Add some music! When the freeze dance leader plays music, participants dance; the music is paused, players freeze.
Conflict Resolution Tip
- Only the freeze dance leader controls the dancing, but you can rotate who the freeze dance leader is so everyone can have a try.
PLAY: REP IT OUT
Easy: The freeze dance leader says, "freeze,” and stops dancing.
Medium: The freeze dance leader does not say, “freeze,” but stops dancing.
Hard: The freeze dance leader rapidly switches between dancing and freezing to trick players.