Laughter, physical activity, and a ton of fun are guaranteed while playing Ba-Boom, a popular Recess Enhancement Program (REP) game.
Who: Grades 3-8
Time: 10 minutes+
Where: Auditorium, cafeteria, classroom, gymnasium, hallway, library, playground
How to Play
- Players form a circle, standing 6 feet apart from one another.
- The leader continuously says, “Ba, ba, ba.” Eventually the leader will say, “Boom!”
- When you hear BOOM you can choose to perform one of two actions:
- BA-BOOM - turn to someone on either side of you and clap-point while saying, “Ba-boom.”
- DUCK - squat and hold it.
- There are consequences for every action:
- If you ba-boom someone whose back is turned to you, then he or she does five jumping jacks.
- If you ba-boom someone who ba-booms you, then you both do five jumping jacks.
- If you duck while someone tries to ba-boom you, then the ba-boom passes over your head to the person next to you.
- If no one ba-booms anyone, then everyone does five jumping jacks!
Check for Understanding
- What happens if someone ba-booms you in the back?
- What happens if no one ba-booms anyone?
- Make sure to practice the commands and actions so that students are set up for success.
Conflict Resolution Tip
- Have students play rock-paper-scissors if there are any disagreements.
PLAY: REP IT OUT
Easy: Mix up BOOM with words that rhyme.
Medium: Add SHIELD - players turn to someone on either side of them and put both hands up with their palms facing inward. If a player ba-booms a shield, then nothing happens.
Hard: Add MIRROR - players turn to someone on either side of them and put both hands up with their palms facing outward. If a player ba-booms a mirror, then he or she must ba-boom the opposite way.
Help Asphalt Green provide resources for kids to stay active. We need your support more than ever to continue providing for the community. We are stronger together.