Put an animalistic spin on a class relay race. Animal Relay, a popular Recess Enhancement Program (REP) game, will get kids active.
Who: Grades K-5
Time: 10 minutes+
Where: Auditorium, cafeteria, gymnasium, hallway, playground
Equipment: Cones or tape
How to Play
- Players line up standing 6 feet away from each other. The leader will split players into teams of three and use cones to mark start and end lines.
- The leader calls out an animal (cheetah, shark, elephant). When the leader says, "go," the first students in line will act like the specified animal as they move toward the end cone.
- They act like the animal on the way back to the start line. Once the player sits down at the end of his or her line, the next player goes.
- The first team to have all players sitting down wins!
Check for Understanding
- What do you do when you get back to your line?
- What are you running toward?
- Demonstrate a round before students play.
Conflict Resolution Tip
- Have players cheer each other on.
PLAY: REP IT OUT
Easy: Sloth: walk slowly
Medium: Rabbit: hop on two feet
Hard: Crab: crab walk