It may be cold outside, but don't let that stop you from getting active. Our Recess Enhancement Program's (REP) game of the month, Riverbank, can be played inside or outside in small spaces.
Who: Grades kindergarten to 5
Time: 15+ minutes
Where: Any indoor space
- Form a line with string, tape, or an item already on the ground
How to play:
- Instruct students to put their toes on the line and face the facilitator (you).
- The facilitor will call out "river," "bank," or "riverbank."
- Students hop forward when they hear "river" and backward when they hear "bank."
- When the facilitor calls out "riverbank," students hop sideways with one foot in the river and one foot in the bank.
- If a student makes a mistake, he or she will do five jumping jacks or a silly dance before rejoining the game.
- Be the line leader and have students follow you to avoid fights.
PLAY: REP IT OUT
EASY: Step forward and backward.
MEDIUM: Run in place while waiting for the command.
HARD: Hop on one foot.