Don’t let staying inside stop you from getting active. Our Recess Enhancement Program's (REP) game Riverbank can be played in any small space—outside or inside.
Who: Grades K-8
Time: 15+ minutes
Where: Auditorium, cafeteria, classroom, gymnasium, hallway, library, playground
Equipment: Cones or tape
How to play:
- Instruct students to put their toes on the line and face the facilitator (you).
- The facilitor will call out "river," "bank," or "riverbank."
- Players hop forward when they hear "river" and backward when they hear "bank."
- When the facilitor calls out, "riverbank," players hop sideways with one foot in the river and one foot in the bank.
- If a player makes a mistake, he or she will do five jumping jacks or a silly dance before rejoining the game.
- Have a little space to move? Change “river” and “bank” to two designated walls in the room to get players moving as long as they are 6 feet apart. When you say, “riverbank,” players can rush to a designated spot in the middle of the two.
Check for Understanding
- What do you do when you hear, "river?"
- What do you do when you hear, "bank?"
- Be the line leader and have students follow you to avoid fights.
PLAY: REP IT OUT
EASY: Step forward and backward in response to commands.
MEDIUM: Run in place while waiting for the command.
HARD: Hop on one foot when commands are given.
Help Asphalt Green provide resources for kids to stay active. Asphalt Green, like many nonprofits, has felt the effects of COVID-19. We need your support now more than ever to continue providing for the community. We are stronger together.