If you are unable to hold in-person activities, we also offer free trainings on engaging kids in movement through virtual programming. Check out our remote trainings here.
Kids move their bodies and get in a few laughs while playing our popular Recess Enhancement Program (REP) game, ZIp, Zap, Zoom.
Zip, Zap, Zoom
Who: Grades 3-8
Time: 5 minutes+
Where: Auditorium, hallway, cafeteria, classroom, gymnasium, library, playground
How to Play:
- Form a circle and stand 6 feet away from each other.
- One player starts the game by clap-pointing while saying, "zip," to a player on his or her left.
- That player will clap-point and say, "zap" to a player on his or her right.
- Next, that player will clap-point while saying, "zoom" to someone new. Keep the pattern going.
- Restart if the wrong command is said or someone claps in the wrong direction.
Check for Understanding
- What comes after zoom?
- Which way do you turn for zap?
- Do a practice round before starting?
Conflict Resolution Tip
- Make sure players look each other in the eye before passing.
- Add jumping or squatting to the clap-passing movements.
PLAY: REP IT OUT
EASY: Complete in 30 seconds.
MEDIUM: Add lunges to the clap-passing movement.
HARD: Stand on one foot while waiting.
Help Asphalt Green provide resources for kids to stay active. Asphalt Green, like many nonprofits, has felt the effects of COVID-19. We need your support now more than ever to continue providing for the community. We are stronger together.