If you are unable to hold in-person activities, we also offer free trainings on engaging kids in movement through virtual programming. Check out our remote trainings here.
Kids exercise their brains and bodies in this popular Recess Enhancement Program (REP) game, I'm Going to Recess.
I'm Going to Recess
Who: Grades K-8
Time: 10 minutes+
Where: Auditorium, cafeteria, classroom, gymnasim, hallway, library, playground
How to Play
- Players form a circle standing 6 feet apart from one another.
- The leader will select one person to start. That player will say, “I am going to recess and I am bringing [noun that begins with the letter A].”
- The person on his or her left will then say, “I am going to recess and I am bringing [noun that begins with the letter B]." This pattern continues until the group completes the alphabet.
- If someone says the incorrect letter or a word that is not in the dictionary, then the whole circle does 10 seconds of silly dancing.
Check for Understanding
- What does each word have to begin with?
- What happens if a player makes a mistake?
- Put a time limit on each turn.
- Play rock-paper-scissors to settle any disputes.
PLAY: REP IT OUT
Easy: Players must jog in place.
Medium: Players must make it through the alphabet twice.
Hard: Players can only bring something from a specific category (fruit, animals, etc.).