Laughter, physical activity, and a ton of fun are guaranteed while playing Ba-Boom, a popular Recess Enhancement Program (REP) game.
Who: Grades 3-8
Time: 10 minutes+
Where: Auditorium, cafeteria, classroom, gymnasium, hallway, library, playground
How to Play
- Players form a circle, standing 6 feet apart from one another.
- The leader continuously says, “Ba, ba, ba.” Eventually the leader will say, “Boom!”
- When you hear BOOM you can choose to perform one of two actions:
- BA-BOOM - turn to someone on either side of you and clap-point while saying, “Ba-boom.”
- DUCK - squat and hold it.
- There are consequences for every action:
- If you ba-boom someone whose back is turned to you, then he or she does five jumping jacks.
- If you ba-boom someone who ba-booms you, then you both do five jumping jacks.
- If you duck while someone tries to ba-boom you, then the ba-boom passes over your head to the person next to you.
- If no one ba-booms anyone, then everyone does five jumping jacks!
Check for Understanding
- What happens if someone ba-booms you in the back?
- What happens if no one ba-booms anyone?
- Make sure to practice the commands and actions so that students are set up for success.
Conflict Resolution Tip
- Have students play rock-paper-scissors if there are any disagreements.
PLAY: REP IT OUT
Easy: Mix up BOOM with words that rhyme.
Medium: Add SHIELD - players turn to someone on either side of them and put both hands up with their palms facing inward. If a player ba-booms a shield, then nothing happens.
Hard: Add MIRROR - players turn to someone on either side of them and put both hands up with their palms facing outward. If a player ba-booms a mirror, then he or she must ba-boom the opposite way.
Help Asphalt Green provide resources for kids to stay active. Asphalt Green, like many nonprofits, has felt the effects of COVID-19. We need your support now more than ever to continue providing for the community. We are stronger together.